5 Tips for A Healthier Mouth
For many people, the first thing they notice about a stranger is their smile. And rightly so – a smile can say a lot about what kind of person you are. Your teeth reveal how well you take care of yourself and what level of importance you place on hygiene. Here are some steps to ensure you have a healthy smile:
- Visit your dentist at twice per year: By seeing a dentist every six months, you can stay on top of your dental health. Any potential problems – such as cavities, gum disease, exposed roots, etc. – can be caught early and treated before they develop into something much worse and more painful.
- Brush twice, floss once: Dentists often recommend that people brush twice per day, once in the morning and once at night, and floss before or after brushing on one of those occasions. Floss is the only thing that can get into the space between teeth and remove bacteria, plaque, and food particles that can cause damage to the teeth and gums.
- Drink lots of water: Water is the best for your mouth for so many different reasons. First of all, it keeps your mouth clean. It washes away food and dilutes the acid produced by bacteria in your mouth. On top of that, it’s much better than sugar-filled sodas and juices, which can wear away at tooth enamel and cause cavities among other, far worse conditions. Drinking water also keeps bad breath at bay by washing away bacteria and preventing dry mouth.
- Replace your toothbrush every 3-4 months. Over time, toothbrush bristles become frayed and worn and no longer clean effectively.
- Avoid smoking. Amongst other deadly side effects, smoking causes yellow teeth, bad breath, gum disease, and increased risk of oral cancer.
Regular cleanings and visits to the dentist can help you achieve and maintain a healthy mouth and a beautiful smile. To schedule your next appointment, call the Dr. Sid K. Steadman D.D.S. dental office in Leander at (512) 259-3365 today.